Thursday, November 13, 2014

Diptyque - Do Son Eau de Parfum (perfume review)

When I went to Tyson's Corner Center the other day for Diptyque's Eau Rose, I surmised that I might also end up with a solid of Eau Duelle, or even a roll-on of L'Ombre dans l'Eau based on my experiences with some samples from Aedes. Instead I came home with none of them but with a roll-on of Philosykos and a few more Diptyque samples, which included the eau de parfum formulation of Do Son.

Upon first spray, Do Son opens up on my wrist with a lush, green, faintly citrusy rainforest which is quickly accompanied by a sweet white creaminess that makes me *swoon*. That rich almost-powdery-yet-creamy floral oh so perfectly compliments the vibrant freshness of the opening. When I think of this perfect combination of greens and white florals, I can't help but think of my tropical wedding. Given the chance to do it all again, Do Son would definitely be my wedding day scent.

Wedding photography by Justin Lee Photography
If the opening of Do Son could last forever, I'd be in serious perfume heaven. If it weren't 140 dollars a bottle, I'd buy several and continuously spray myself in 5 minute intervals for days on end. I'd bathe in it. I'd drink it if it would seep out of my pores and engulf me in its deliciousness.  

About 5-10 minutes in, the creaminess and greenness fade slightly and a brighter floral note emerges. The tuberose sweetens up and starts to float like a silk scarf in a breeze. 

After the opening, Do Son does become a touch sharper to my nose (as most florals do), but remains just shy of overbearing - which is where many perfumes fail me. It is usually this sharpness that clings to my nostrils and becomes intolerably headache inducing - regardless of how lovely the offending perfume may smell. I'm not sure which element in the perfume evokes this response. If anyone knows, please enlighten me!

But as I said, fortunately Do Son never gets too sharp or tinny feeling (sometimes for me florals feel like one has cranked up the treble and turned down down bass). Rather the tuberose in Do Son feels quite lavish. It is not too sweet and feels fuller, creamier and fleshier than what I remember of the tuberose in Nuit de Tubereuse.

I don't get much evolution past this point.  About an hour in, there is a slight resurgence of the greens in the opening - but on the whole Do Son remains a sensuous tuberose. Though it may not be the most complex of scents, the steadfast nature of the scent is fine with me because I love the way it smells - a billowy butterfly of sweet florals saturated by a rich milky cream. So alluring. 

The only downside is that Do Son is not particularly long lasting (my 1-2 sprays last maybe 3-4 hours before fading significantly). However in some respects this is an upside as frequent refreshes provide ample opportunity to re-live the glorious opening. 

Indeed, Do Son EdP is full bottle worthy to me.

-----

My rating of Do Son: 4.5 (the opening, however, is a full 5!)


1  -  - -  -  2  -  -  -  -  3  -  -  -  -  4  -  - X -  -  5
   Nausea/Gagging        Meh        Decent       Great         Olfactory Elation    

-----

Do Son as described by the Diptyque website:

Family: Floral

Tuberose asserts itself, expressing all its sunny, hazy, creamy, indolent seductiveness. Anyone with blood in their veins will succumb to the irresistible temptation of this insolently seductive white flower.

Notes: Tuberose, Orange Leaves, Pink Peppercorn, Musk

Perfumer: Fabrice Pellegrin

-----

Have you tried Do Son EdP or EdT?  If so, how do you like them?


No comments:

Post a Comment